larissak

may the mountains bring peace to the people

Direct instruction to teach parallelism in english

There are very few videos to teach parallelism and each one of them lack inspiration to learn the concept. Of course one excellent scholarly resource most of us students refer to when attempting to learn something impossible like physics, we go to… KHAN ACADEMY!! The one thing I love about this learning site is the use of colours, examples, and humour. Most people I have spoken to use this site frequently and are able to comprehend the concepts after one or two break down videos.

Question (3) asks: What activity would you assign after watching these videos.

For this particular video I would assign 4 parallel sentences in blog form, providing an example and non example of parallelism for 2 different sentences. Using methods similar to the video I would ask the student to underline the verbs used in a list with a passive voice and verbs in a structured sentence without a list. The example provided in the video is “The cake was bakedfrosted, and I put sprinkles on it”. The parallel to this is “The cake was baked, frosted, and sprinkled“.

This would help develop an understanding of non-examples in order to enhance the understanding of parallelism on a deeper level. This allows for the movement beyond parallelism as a tool but as a style of writing which enhances quality in writing, reading and speaking the english language.

Question (4) How would students get feedback?

Our Learning design utilizes this site (EDUBLOGS) and would allow for responses from both peers and the teacher. This can provide a space to develop writing and communication. The students will be marked on their participation between each other on this platform.

Question (5) How much work would that activity cause?

This activity would be a reasonable amount of work and would act as an introductory to mastering the concept. The students would begin to comprehend effective use of complements and the rules or ‘faux pas’ which go hand in hand with the english language.

Question (7) The students who are colour blind would not struggle with this video despite the use of coloured pencils used to write sentences. There are no exclusionary methods used throughout this video and all of our chosen student barriers would comprehend this easily.  We are avoiding the use of colour separation when displaying information to help with the learning of colour blind students.

This video would be an excellent stepping stone into more complex uses of this theory. I found other videos on utilizing complements and the rules surrounding them, which effectively displays the non-examples and examples. I do wish the video encouraged student participation although this may be something our group can encourage following the video through a blog feed.